Wednesday, July 6, 2011
"It's not pink! it's lightish red"
Really enjoyed tonight's baking experience!! Decided to make red, white, and blue cupcakes and make a tutorial to go with it!
But first... extra points to the person who can name where the title came from!!
Let us begin the tutorial...
Start by making up a batch of white cake. White cake IS a must since we will be coloring it. If you try any other cake, the colors just dont work. (at least for what i am doing right now...)
Once the cake is mixed, divide it evenly into 3 different bowls.
Then add your color. All I had on hand is the cheap mccormicks liquid drop stuff, but it still works... probably added a bit too much but i wanted the color to be dark
grab some spoons and start stirring!!
hooray... now comes the kinda annoying part... getting it into the cups. Begin with your color of choice. I did blue.
Then add your second color. Mine was white. Leave a little bit of the bottom color exposed. This way, when they bake, the middle color will be a nice little surprise!!
oh... ya and whatever you do... do not get the little cheap crappy cupcake flutes. seriously! spend a little more for the nicer ones that dont make you fight to keep them where they belong!!
Finally, add the last color. I forgot to take a pic of red alone so here is what it looks like when you are completely finished filling.
Pop them in the oven til toothpick (or in my case, a knife) comes out clean. Remove them from the trey and allow to cool on a rack.
Anyone taking a quick glance would not know that there is more than one color in these :) but guess what....
SURPRISE!!!!! red white and blue!!
After they have plenty of time to cool, time to decorate!! I chose rather simple since the cupcakes are the main focus. Just some regular vanilla icing and some sugar crystals.
I actually ran out of red by the time i was at the end... soooo here is the saddest cupcake from the night...
The tiny "special" cupcake that also got a little overdone... still yummy :p
Even though I chose red, white, and blue as my colors for this tutorial, the options are seriously endless!! you can do as many colors and you think of! I'm wanting to do a neon green, lightish blue, and white cupcakes for my daughter.
Hope someone finds this extremely helpful. Enjoy baking
Til anon
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment