Tuesday, August 9, 2011

new room

In truth, I should have posted this earlier but I've been rather distracted.
Over the weekend I painted my daughters bedroom. I've never painted a room before so it was a bit of an experience. The overall wasnt hard, it was the detail work in the butterflies... But lets wait for that...

Thursday night was spent getting everything prepped. Laying down the drop clothes, taping off the stripe (which is a pain the arse when your level is all of 6 inches long) and getting the ceiling and base boards taped.

full DAY 1
Base coat. Seriously took all freakin day due to a really cheap crappy paint roller.   I honestly can not express how very much I love this shade of blue. I'm very sad that the following pictures do the colors NO justice...
Late LATE into the night, was able to put on a second coat. well... My husband helped put on a second coat.
He kept calling the purple "pink".... but anyway... I really appreciate his help with this. Thank goodness the second coat went on extremely quick!!

DAY 2 
Stencils!  I have never done stencil work in my life. I can honestly say I goofed that all to hell on the first try. I thought you just tape the stencil and can go over it with a roller brush... I will spare you the horrible picture (because I forgot to take one) but lets just say it was really really bad!! So thanks to youtube, found a tutorial on proper stenciling. Still turned out to be a pain in the ass due to the fact I had 4 stencils, and ever single butterfly had to have 2 coats.

By the time Adam got home, I seriously needed a break. Silver Dollar City was still doing moonlight madness so we went for awhile. We really didnt get to do much because it was so insanely busy!! We still had a lot of fun though. It was nice to be able to take some time to be a couple.
After the City, had to get back to work...
Big problem though... the power went out. I was determined get those damn things finished!! I think I had 5 candles lit and an emergency lcd lantern hanging from my belt. But frankly, it was still too dark...

Sunday.... FINAL day
Got up as soon as I could to get those things finished. We didnt have to pick Alayna up until 5 so there was still plenty of time to get everything done but seriously had to hurry!!
I wasnt too sure about the white stripe at first, but after getting the butterflies, I really do like it. And for the record... Those are neon green butterflies... not yellow... No seriously!! The paint is green in the can, green on the brush, but for some reason, they look really yellow on the wall.

Finally, everything was done. Added some white butterflies, did a few touch ups, and cleaned everything up. Got the furniture back in place.... An extremely sleep deprived weekend total worth it!!

I cant wait to replace that dresser!!! We are wanting to find a double drawer dresser.

Oh and I completely forgot to mention... The entire time, I only had 2 cd's to listen to... Honestly makes you go a little crazy listening to the same things over and over... why not listen to the radio?? couldnt get in any stations... But all in all, it was alright.

I'm very happy with how everything turned out and so is my daughter (which is who matters). Now I just have to figure out the next project :)
til anon

2 comments:

  1. Pretty! And you could always repaint the dresser and use it in an entry way or living room of your next home. Good furniture made from real wood is something to keep a hold of! (or if you must, you could freecycle it!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. the dresser is my lil sisters and the plan is to repaint it. havent decided how... my thought is white with purple nobs. I think if I went with either the blue or purple it would just be too much...

    ReplyDelete